Great memories are made out of great experiences, not just great events. When it comes to creating great family memories, the goal is not necessarily to overspend your budget paying for “name-brand” events; instead, you can create an unforgettable array of family experiences even while on a low budget. Let us give you a few pointers and you will soon be making magical family memories of your own, no matter what the holiday, no matter what the budget.
The Essence of Family
Every child intuitively knows what we often quickly forget in the hustle and bustle of growing up: family is the enjoyment of being together. However, it really isn’t as complicated as marketing strategies would have us think. It really doesn’t take an elaborate meal that was costly to your budget, not to mention the hours you spent in the kitchen nor does it mean that you have to fund Santa, Uncle Sam, or the Easter bunny several hundred dollars for each of their respective holidays. Family starts with simply being together and enjoying those moments.
The Essence of Tradition
Why do we enjoy tradition so much? We think that tradition is not simply a way of doing things every holiday, but a way of remembering the best of who you are as a family and celebrating that. And you have the freedom to create your own traditions according to the beauty you see in your family – and according to your budget, as needed. Planning low-budget traditions does not have to mean that you value your family any less. In fact, sometimes we work to simplify our traditions so that we can focus more on the enjoyment of family and love and laughter and remembering who we are and who we still want to become.
Great Family Memories on a Low Budget
Ultimately, your goal for your family is to make time together to celebrate who you are together. However, you may feel lost in coming up with some good starter ideas to do that, especially when you may also be overwhelmed with the pressure of costly commercial traditions. So, here are a few ideas that we hope will spark your own creativity in making great family memories while on a low budget.
- Every community generally has several free events over the holidays, such as parades, music events, fireworks displays, and other commemorative festivities.
- Inexpensive crafts such as making paper snowflakes together, homemade Valentines, or carving pumpkins.
- Thrift stores are usually overloaded with last year’s decoration or costume castoffs!
- Affordable family events such as a potluck brunch on Easter, a picnic on the fourth of July with sparklers or a New Years neighborhood party with leftover holiday goodies.
- Giving simple gifts with an elaborate treasure hunt or giving gifts of time and services.
These are just a few ideas that we hope will inspire you and always remember, enjoying time together is the key!